NCI Dress Code for Dancers
- For ballet classes: Solid colored leotard and pink tights with pink ballet slippers or flesh tone tights with flesh tone ballet slippers (ballet slippers or pointe shoes must match the color of the dancer’s tights to elongate the leg line), OR fitted solid color t-shirt or leotard, black tights, and white or black ballet shoes and socks.
- For modern, contemporary, and jazz classes: Black tights, leggings, or dance shorts are recommended.
- For hip-hop classes: dance sneakers are recommended but not required. Please be sure your shoes have clean soles to protect the studio floor.
- For ballroom classes: character shoes are recommended but not required. Jazz shoes are an acceptable substitute for character shoes.
- Ballet skirts are permitted at the discretion of the teacher; no leg warmers during class. Warmups and sweatpants will only be permitted in hip-hop classes.
- Hair must be swept back and secured up from the face. Braids and locs are encouraged but should not exceed a length much lower than the shoulder. The thickness of the braids or locs should allow for a safe, secure, appropriately sized bun that does not move. Dancers with short hair must keep their hair neat, secure and away from the face.
- Dance socks may be permissible at the discretion of the teacher or choreographer. Please bring options! While packing for the NCI, be sure to include ballet slippers, jazz shoes, pointe shoes, dance sneakers, and black socks along with an assortment of colored leotards, tights, skirts, etc.
- Modest personal jewelry is permitted as long it does not risk injury to the dancer.
Please bring options! While packing for the NCI, be sure to include ballet slippers, jazz shoes, pointe shoes, dance sneakers, and black socks along with an assortment of colored leotards, tights, skirts, etc.
Dress Code & Packing Instructions for Choreographers
- Comfortable athletic wear that is easy to move in is recommended.
- Please bring notebooks, pencils, and a phone or laptop for storing daily music selections. Also bring with you a storage device (USB Zip drive, SD card, or CF card) at least 8GB, for storing video footage from all showings.
- Please make sure your name is on your devices. We will transfer music selections to you each day for your assignments, as well as provide you with all video footage of your pieces.
Visiting During the Conference
Family members and friends are welcome to visit with dancers during their daily midday break. If a dancer intends to leave campus with a family member or friend, a guardian must provide prior permission. Observer passes may also be purchased by family or friends for $50 per day to watch classes and attend meals with the NCI attendees throughout the conference.
Saturday, July 1 – Showcase Performance at 2pm
The final day of the NCI includes a Showcase Performance beginning at 2:00pm. Family and friends are invited, and guest tickets may be purchased within your registration. You may add on as many guest tickets as necessary. NCI participants do not require tickets.
NCI participants are permitted to leave after the Showcase Performance by car with a legal guardian or other adult whom the legal guardian designates in writing to RDA.
Policies and Important Information for all NCI Participants
- All NCI participants are expected to attend all assigned classes, rehearsals, and performances.
- NCI Participants should monitor their health for potential symptoms of Covid-19, Flu, or any other illness. If any symptoms are displayed, please do not travel to the NCI until you have been tested for Covid-19 or Flu. NCI Participants are allowed to wear or not wear masks. Each individualʼs choice will be respected.
- All NCI participants are expected to be well-behaved, courteous, and honest, and to abide by Federal, State, and Local laws and all rules outlined by Regional Dance America and Wright State University. Failure to do so will result in a loss of privileges, notification to guardians, and/or immediate dismissal with forfeiture of all fees. In addition, if any laws are broken, the appropriate authorities will be contacted.
- The following are sufficient cause for dismissal from the NCI:
- Unruly behavior
- Disrespect for University property or personnel
- Derogatory comments or gestures to anyone
- Intimidation of others with violence or the threat of violence
- Use or possession of alcohol, illegal drugs, firearms or fireworks
- Tampering with fire alarms or other action that could affect the safety of others
- Smoking or vaping
- No chewing of gum is not permitted in any dance classes, rehearsals, or performances.
- Burning of candles is not permitted in any rooms.
- No participant may leave the dormitory, dining facilities, or NCI studios by themself and must always check in with Staff when seeking to move from one location to another.
- Participants are not to touch the belongings of others without permission.
- Participants are not to enter another participant’s room without permission.
- Participants who cause excessive difficulties or endanger the health, safety, or welfare of themselves or others will be dismissed from the program immediately with forfeiture of all fees.
- Any participant who is dismissed for misconduct shall be prohibited from attending all future NCI programs.
Emergency On-site Phone Number
Erika Davis, 603-260-3748